About the HSA
The Lafayette Home and School Association (HSA) is a group of volunteer parents, Lafayette staff, and members of the local community. The HSA strives to create a sense of community by bringing parents and the school together in a cooperative way. The HSA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group, similar to a traditional PTA.
The HSA’s primary mission, as laid out in our bylaws, is two-fold:
- To establish and operate an organization to promote cooperation among parents, teachers, and other staff at Lafayette Elementary School, the community, and the government of the District of Columbia.
- To bring home and school closer together, and work for the best interests of the children.
The HSA works to achieve our mission in a variety of ways including:
- engaging parents in volunteer and social activities around the school;
- raising funds to support programs and events not covered by the DCPS budget;
- keeping parents informed of what is happening at school through our communications channels like the website, constant contact emails, backpack stuffers and Facebook and Twitter account; and
- serving as a resource for parents who have questions or thoughts about what is happening at school.
We serve as a resource for you, the parents, by fostering dialogue and helping to facilitate and strengthen the communication channels between you and the school. But we also understand that with all of the changes this year, many of you may not be aware of these channels or how to reach out with questions, concerns, or even compliments.
The following is a list of ways to contact the HSA and key school leaders:
- Contact any of our 22 HSA Board Members directly. Each HSA Board Member can be reached via his/her HSA mailbox in the front office of the school or by email or phone. (Our contact information can be found on the here and in the school directory).
- Leave a note in the suggestion boxes located in the Main Office and at the Security Desk.
- Respond to the HSA Parents Survey which will be sent to parents tomorrow. Wednesday, November 2, with results being shared at the January 12 HSA General Meeting.
- Come to the HSA General Meetings. We welcome suggestions for topics for these meetings.
In an effort to be more responsive, we have also added an item to our monthly Board agenda that will allow each Board Member to share any questions, comments and concerns that have been expressed by our community. We will discuss as a group and work with Dr. Broquard on how to address these topics.
>>Lafayette Home and School Association Bylaws