Budget & Activities
The HSA develops a budget each year based on projected fundraising for that year. Below is the budget for the 2016-17 school year, which was approved by the general membership at the June 2016 General HSA Meeting.
Here are some of the activities and budget items that the HSA raises funds for and supports:
- Mindfulness Program – Fund the Peace of Mind Program, our highly-regarded mindfulness and social emotional learning program.
- Teacher Grants – Provide grants to teachers to support their activities and help purchase classroom supplies.
- Website – Maintain a school website and email capabilities.
- Educational Materials – Purchase curriculum materials, such as textbooks, math and reading games, and software licenses.
- Part-time Teachers – Supplement the salaries of art and music teachers.
- Safe Drop-off – Help to implement the Safe Routes to School partnership.
- Directory – Produce an annual Family Directory and distribute to all Lafayette families.
- Book Fair – Coordinate the annual book fair at Politics & Prose.
- Student Publications – Fund monthly student newsletters and other student publications.
- Subsidies for Student Activities – Provide subsidies to ensure that all students can participate in field trips and other activities.
- Technology – Purchase updated technology for classrooms.
- School Store (“Grizzly Gear”) – Sell Lafayette-branded items to foster school pride.
- Volunteering – Coordinate volunteer opportunities throughout the school.
- Garden (“Bear’s Garden”) – Support the activities of the Nutrition Committee and the Bear’s Garden.
- Art and Music Supplies – Give annual grants to allow the music teachers to buy instruments and other necessities, the art teacher to buy supplies.
- Teacher Development– Support teacher development opportunities when not covered by DCPS.
- Graduating Class Fund – Supplement the graduating class celebration.
- Library Books – Provide funds to allow the library to buy hundreds of new books each year.
- After-school Clubs– Coordinate a variety of after-school clubs and activities.
- Teacher Appreciation – Sponsor activities to support and celebrate our teachers.
- Facilities and Grounds – Plan and carry out improvements to the school building and grounds.
In recent years, HSA capital improvement projects have included:
- Repairing the outdoor amphitheater seating next to the track
- Updating the teachers’ lounge
- Renovating the cafeteria/auditorium, including a new audio-visual system
- Renovating the library
- Improving a portion of the outside recreation area (in collaboration with the Friends of Lafayette Park)
- Supporting landscaping work in front of the school
- Repairing bathrooms
- Repairing the cafeteria kitchen area.