Dear Lafayette Families –
March has certainly come in like a lion! Thank you to everyone who braved the winds early Friday morning for Parent Teacher conferences. Thank you also to everyone for your flexibility as DCPS closed late in the morning and worked to shift course! More information will be coming from your teacher if you still need to make up your P/T conference.
Last week the entire school enjoyed our incomparable DC Theater Café. In its 11th running, our 3rd graders transformed the cafeteria into a dinner theater celebrating the stories of DCPS schools named after a famous DC resident. The third graders served up snacks, drinks, and some amazing DC history lessons. Kudos goes out to our entire 3rd grade team, the parent volunteers and all of our students for their efforts in creating this very special informance.
This week we are looking forward to our 2nd grade informance – the Inventor’s Wax Museum. Once again, our cafeteria will be transformed! On Wednesday, our second graders will become a “wax figure” of a famous inventor. Our students will highlight their research, writing, and speaking skills! We are looking forward to this awesome display of their hard work.
We will finish off our week with Jump Rope for Heart on Friday. This is a time honored classic here at Lafayette. Every year our students jump for heart health and raise a tremendous amount of fun and money to support the American Heart Association. The PreK, KDG, and 1st grade students will jump throughout the day. The 2nd – 5th graders will bust a move after school from 3:15 – 5:00 pm. Please consider joining us as a volunteer! You don’t want to miss your chance to learn how to double dutch from Ms. Mayhew!
The rest of March will continue to be packed with exciting things for students and families:
- There are a several field trips (4th grade to the Native American Museum, 3rd grade to Politics and Prose, PreK to Imagination Stage, and 4th grade to the MD Science Center).
- Next week we will start the week on Monday (3/12) with the Spring production of the Drama Club play, “Numbers”. Please join us at 9 am or 7 pm for another Steven King original production.
- The following day (3/13), Lafayette will host the mindful rapper, JusTMe. Last year he was a WILD success with the students. Thanks in advance to the HSA for supporting the assemblies.
- On Wednesday, we will celebrate Pi Day (3/14). Our celebrations will include a pi recitation contest as well as our 2nd annual PiK run after school.
- Please join us for the HSA Auction on Saturday, 3/17. This is an amazing annual event that celebrates the families at Lafayette as well as serves as an important fundraiser. The Auction Chairs and Committee members have been hard at work for the past several months. Find your green apparel and come celebrate St. Patrick’s day at the Auction.
- The Scholastic Book Fair will be 3/19 – 3/23 as well as our Music in Our Schools concert on 3/22.
- We then head off to spring break during the week of 3/26 – 3/30 to end the month.
Buckle up! It’s going to be an action packed month. Finally, as we think about spring break and calendars, please take a moment to review the DCPS proposed calendars for next year. There is also a link to provide feedback. More information can be found here:
As we continue to breeze through March, don’t forget to be on the lookout for a DCPS budget update from the LSAT, as well as meeting minutes from our next After School Advisory Team (ASAT) meeting that will be held on 3/15 at 6:30 pm. This is definitely the time of year when there are many activities, many emails, and lots of events. Please be sure to check your emails and the website frequently!
Have a great week,