Dear Lafayette Families –
Fall has finally arrived and there is much to share and celebrate. Our students are in full swing with learning, projects, book reports, field trips and ST Math. While many of you are familiar with Jiji the penguin and ST Math, some of you may still be wondering how it works. ST Math is a spatial temporal (“ST”) approach to “seeing the math.” Students work on the computer during center time to complete various puzzles that fit their learning needs. Click here to learn more about how ST math works. We have seen huge results in students’ conceptual understanding of math as a result of their ST Math usage. Please help support your student by checking in on their completion rate and the goal for the week. For the upcoming week, students should be at 21%. Students can log on at home from the Lafayette Tech homepage.
Last week our students celebrated Hispanic Heritage month with two incredible assemblies delivered by the Smithsonian’s Discovery Theater. Our Pk4 – 2nd graders were mesmerized by “Fabulas Fairytales.” The interactive show included the students in singing and learning the familiar fairytales in Spanish. It was a brilliant spin on several favorites. Our 3rd – 5th graders watched a play titled “African Roots/Latino Soul” that explored student’s cultural heritage, identity in America, and how to grow up proud in our multicultural society. It was a poignant way to help our students think about the nuances of what it means to grow up as a student of color, particularly of Hispanic heritage, and how we approach each other’s similarities and differences.
Also celebrating our similarities and differences is our new student group – Kaleidoscope Kids. This month, the students in this lunch and Flex time group are discussing disabilities and how that impacts students in schools. You may see several posters around school as they have been discussing and spreading the word that disabilities are not inabilities. The group is facilitated by Ms. Diesner and Ms. Ritchie. The students are having incredibly profound and timely conversations about issues that are real for many of us in society today.
In other good news, the DC City Council recently voted to continue full time nursing coverage for school nurses within the District. We are incredibly grateful and lucky to have Chris Cockrell as our full time nurse. She is often an unsung hero throughout the day – handing out ice packs, checking scrapes, and supporting all of us in our health. If you see Nurse Cockrell, be sure to give her a little extra TLC – she deserves it! Also, her new passion is triathalons…ask her about her recent races. She is truly amazing.
As we kick off another joyful week of learning, a few friendly reminders:
- Buy your Fall Festival Tickets! Fall Festival is this Saturday 10/21 and it is THE place to be.
- Picture Day is Friday, 10/20.
- Teachers are on duty outside at 8:25 am. Prior to 8:25 am, there is no supervision. Please send your students to school accordingly.
- Dogs are not allowed for any reasons at pick up and dismissal. They may not be tied to the stair railings. This impedes our students’ ability to use the stairs to go to their buses. Please stop bringing your dogs. They are not allowed.
- Follow us on Instagram! Our new Assistant Principal, Ms. Bosurgi is keeping our Instagram feed current and relevant! Be sure to follow us to follow us on Instagram!
- Girls’ Basketball Tryouts are this week, 10/17 – 10/19 from 3:30 – 5:30 pm
- Boys’ Basketball Tryouts are next week, 10/24 – 10/26 from 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Flag Rugby is back at Lafayette! See the message below from Ms. McClure:
- Starting on Monday, October 16th we will begin our flag rugby practice. The rugby club is open to any 4th or 5th grade girl or boy. We are very limited in time and space, so we have created a schedule that will last for the next two weeks. For those that are interested we are going to participate in tournament on Sunday, October 27. Parents will be responsible for transportation of their child to and from the venue as well as while they are there. I’m working on getting the exact time for the tournament. Once I have that information I will get that to those that interested in participating. Please fill out the form below, detach and send in to Ms. McClure on Monday, October 16th. If you have any questions please contact Ms. McClure at
I look forward to seeing everyone this week and sharing in our community spirit this weekend at the Fall Festival.
Take care of one another,