Happy First Day of School Eve!!!
As we get our backpacks ready to go, our first day of school outfits prepped, and are frantically trying to remember what we forgot…..here are a few updates and reminders. Everything else – we’ll figure out. I promise :-). The most important thing to remember is to enjoy one another, show care for one another, and enjoy our incredible school community! Deep breaths. We know we can do this.
Ask, Ask, Look Screening Protocol
- On Monday, 8/30 – school staff will provide students with this form to take home.
- Beginning Tuesday, 8/31 – Please complete and sign the Ask, Ask, Look form with your child every morning
- Do not send your child to school if they have symptoms. All of our collective health is at stake.
School Supplies – If you haven’t yet dropped them off at the tours, bring them on the first day of school. There will be a collection bin for them at your child’s arrival line.
- Breakfast is free to all students. There is a “grab and go” option on the way inside the doors. Students will have locations in the classroom to eat if they choose to do so that is 6 ft from other students.
- Snack – See the email from your teacher for specific directions.
- All students will eat outside
- Students may bring a lunch or eat the free school lunch (menu coming ASAP)
- In the event of bad weather – teachers have an indoor lunch plan that allows for students to eat 6ft apart to the greatest extent possible
- If your student has allergies – please notify the nurse () AND your teacher.
- The school is not nut free, but classrooms will make accommodations for allergies as appropriate for the individual student needs.
COVID Safety Protocols
- All individuals must wear masks while on school property.
- Adults must adhere to social distancing while on campus (6 ft of space).
- Students will be 3ft – 6ft apart to the greatest extent possible.
- This document presents the COVID safety Protocols and how they compare to last spring.
- All safety protocols can be found here: https://dcpsreopenstrong.com/health/
- As of Friday, 8/27, all students in DCPS schools will be eligible for asymptomatic, symptomatic, and close contact COVID testing. No action needed on your part.
- Testing is now a saliva based test (no nasal swab). Check out this video: Saliva Testing. Please note, we will make accommodations for the age of our students.
- Students are not required to have a negative COVID test before starting school.
- If you would like to opt out of COVID testing – please complete this form and email it to OR send it in to your child’s teacher.
- In mid-August, the travel guidance changed.
- Unvaccinated individuals who travel outside the DMV are recommended to quarantine for 10 days OR return after a negative PCR COVID test 3 – 5 days after returning from travel.
- We can no longer require it. However, families are urged to follow the recommendation and quarantine their student if they have travelled for the safety and health of everyone.
What if my child has to quarantine because of something outside of school?
- If your child tests positive for COVID, or is identified as a close contact (family member tests positive, etc) – your student is required to immediately isolate or quarantine
- Guidance for Close Contacts
- If an unvaccinated student is a close contact to someone who tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to quarantine for at least 7 days. Students or staff may return to the classroom after 7 days if they take a COVID-19 test on or after day 5 and receive a negative result.
- Unvaccinated students who do not take a test must quarantine for 10 days.
- Email and cc Ms. Mayhew () with the details of the quarantine (last contact, any test results, etc)
- Guidance for Close Contacts
Staff Vaccination Status
- Mayor Bowser announced that all current DC employees (including all school staff) are required to either be vaccinated or participate in weekly testing. All of our staff, are either vaccinated, or will participate in weekly testing. Please do not ask staff their vaccination status. It’s their personal health information. Thank you for respecting our staff.
- Our staff will be masked, adhering to social distancing and either vaccinated or participating in weekly testing.