Dear Lafayette Families –
Earlier today I shared notification regarding a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a parent member within our school community. I know this has created many questions and worries. I hear you and understand, as your principal and as a parent.
Due to the scale of the current public health situation, all school wide communications around public health alerts must be approved through multiple channels, including but not limited to DC Health, the Mayor’s Office, and DCPS Central Office Teams. While this is critical to consistent and accurate information, it does take time.
Currently, I am working with the above mentioned agencies to create a FAQ to address many of the questions I have received today. While we are waiting for further information to be approved, please refer to these already shared recommendations:
DC Health continues to recommend that all residents monitor themselves for symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you develop any of these symptoms, please stay home and contact your healthcare provider for guidance. DCPS will continue to implement enhanced cleaning protocols and monitor the situation closely with DC Health and other District agencies.
To help prevent the spread of germs and protect yourself and those around you, you should:
• Practice social distancing.
• Multiple times a day, wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
• Seek medical attention if you have reason to believe you have been exposed to COVID- 19 or influenza. Call your healthcare provider before visiting a healthcare facility.
Please know that the specifics of our situation was assessed by DC Health and the communication and recommendations were given according to their protocols. Here is a helpful visual to see how DC Health is considering contact layers in how they investigate reported cases, click here.
I am continuing to collaborate with all the involved teams, and will share more information as I can. Standby for an update soon.
Please take care of yourselves and one another.