Dear Lafayette Families –
Happy mid-July!!! As we are all trying to beat the heat, I thought I’d reach out and share some updates, school supply lists, and upcoming dates. Here’s to some quiet reading in a cool spot!
School supply lists are here! We are again using School Tool Box to purchase school supplies online. If you don’t want to use that website, simply print out the list and buy supplies wherever you see best. Need financial support to purchase school supplies? Please email Ms. Diesner () and we’ll make sure your child has a set of school supplies.
We have been working hard to make sure we are fully staffed as we move through the summer. As always happens, sometimes we have transitions of beloved staff.
- Dr. Brown is moving to be an assistant principal at Phelps High School. This is an exciting move for him as he returns to High school. I cannot thank him enough for his advocacy and work for our exceptional learners. His passion and commitment to students is unparalleled. I know that we will all truly miss him.
- Rashida Mosby is moving to a counseling position at Ida B Wells Middle School. Her work at Lafayette predates my tenure and she has been a rock steady support for our students’ SEL needs. She has been an invaluable member of our community in so many ways. I thank her for all that she has done for the students, staff and families at Lafayette. I am excited for her in this next adventure at a new age level.
- Spanish is back! Through some shifts in staffing and budgeting, we have been able to retain at least one Spanish teacher!!! We are beyond ecstatic to be able to have Mr. Foley teaching our students Spanish. The grade levels that will receive Spanish are still TBD. I am working to fine tune our master schedule and specials schedule. Stay tuned for more information!
- We are adding back in Band!!!! We hired a 2nd music teacher – Morgan Brockman. Mr. Brockman will teach PK/KDG/1st grade music AND will start our instrumental band program back up for 4th and 5th grade students. This is THRILLING news for our students. Stay tuned for more information from Ms. Gemar about choir and Mr. Brockman about band.
- Our full staff list, including our new staff will be listed on our website by the time class lists come out.
Welcome to all of our new PreK families and students! As a reminder, PreK students have a partial attendance transition week 8/29 – 9/29. A copy of the schedule is here: PreK Fall 2022 Transition Week. Once class lists are published, you will receive your assigned small group attendance day and full day attendance day.
The first full day of PreK4 for all PreK4 students is Tuesday, 9/6.
New Families to Lafayette
Welcome to all of our new families! We are so excited to meet you and your students! A couple of notes specific to our new families:
- New student play dates are happening throughout the summer. Want to be included? Email Jess Voris ().
- Don’t forget to sign up for the email list serve: https://www.lafayettehsa.org/sign-up-for-news/
- Join us for the Parent Huddles on Thursday, 8/25. I will teach families how to use the building, the locations for drop off and pick up, and families are welcome to tour the building.
- Want to know more about Lafayette? Check out the website! https://www.lafayettehsa.org/ There’s a calendar, quicklinks, and so much more!
For those of you with your new calendars already started, here are some key upcoming dates:
- 8/1 – Class Lists published
- 8/19– Teacher’s First Day Back!
- 8/25 – Parent Huddles; 6 – 8 pm
- 8/26 – KDG Teacher Meet and Greet (required for KDG staff); time TBA
- 8/27 – Popsicle Social (parent event, staff optional)
- 8/29 – Student’s First Day of School (K – 5th)
- 9/7 and 9/8 – Back To School Nights
I hope that everyone is spending time together, relaxing, and staying cool. It’s been fun running into some of you at the pool! Whether you are traveling abroad, going to camp, or just laying low at home, please take good care of one another, and don’t forget to read!!!!!
More information and class lists coming your way on August 1st….