DCPS is partnering with the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education, D.C. Public Library, HMH, our region’s professional sports teams and others for the Read 20: DC Reads with Amira initiative to provide an opportunity to support your child’s reading skills over the summer! Through this partnership, every DCPS student entering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th grades next year has access this summer to Amira: a personalized, automated reading tutor. Participating students will also receive exciting recognition and prizes. Information and login details are below.
What is Amira?
Amira is the first intelligent reading tutor that provides in-the-moment help to accelerate reading improvement. Once your child is logged into Amira, the software recommends stories for them to read. As your child reads out loud, Amira listens and, when she sees an opportunity to reinforce a reading skill, Amira provides personalized help, drawing from over 30 different research-based tutoring techniques, developed by leading reading experts.
Amira is available anytime, accessible through Clever on your child’s school-issued device. So your child can read with Amira at home, at the library, or anywhere with a WiFi connection.
What is the Read 20: DC Reads with Amira Initiative?
Read 20: DC Reads with Amira is designed to encourage children to practice reading as much as possible throughout the summer. From June 24th to August 30th, your child is encouraged to read with Amira at least 3 stories a day, 3 times per week, for 8 weeks (a total of 72 stories or more over the course of the summer).
Research has shown that children who read with Amira frequently (about 45-minutes per week) have more than doubled their reading growth in 2 months. As your child reads and grows with Amira, we hope to send the message that:
- Reading is fun!
- It’s okay to make mistakes.
- Your child isn’t expected to know all the words! They should try their best to sound out words or skip them if needed – Amira will learn over time the best ways to help them.
Participating students who read regularly with Amira during the summer will be eligible to receive recognition and prizes – including special opportunities from top D.C.-area professional sports teams (more details to come!).
Who is eligible to participate?
Students attending DC Public Schools who are entering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade next year are invited to participate. Your child is ready to read with Amira if they can read a simple story, including 3-letter words (e.g., can, mom, bag) and high-frequency sight words (e.g., am, see, is) on their own without adult help.
How to access Amira: You can access Amira on Clever!
- Using your school-issued device, go to your school portal at http://www.clever.com/in/dcpsk12
- Once on the login screen, sign in using your school username & password
- If you have trouble logging in, you can find instructions here: http://bit.ly/2u56Oj6
- Scroll down to the Amira icon.
- Open it, and begin to “read a story!”
Want to learn more? Visit Amira’s DC support page at https://www.amiralearning.com/dcps
- Watch the video “Family Training”
- Review all the support pages for how to use Amira.
- Send us your questions! A Chat button in the bottom right corner of your screen connects you with a member of the Amira team who can help you throughout the summer.
- Come talk with us! Amira will hold office hours for DC parents throughout the summer Mondays at 4pm and Thursdays at 10AM. Link: https://bit.ly/3vnpM3R (Or, log in to Zoom and use the Meeting ID: 88545680497 & Passcode: 015991 )