Have some questions about the Bear Fund before you make your gift? Read through for some of our frequently asked questions and consider making your gift today!
What is the Bear Fund?
- The Bear Fund is the Lafayette Home School Association’s (HSA) annual fundraiser that supports technology, community events, and many of the school’s unique programs like the Peace Program, Arts Program, and so much more.
- The Bear Fund closes the gap between public school funding and actual expenses to make all of the unique programs at Lafayette possible.
Why Is It Important?
- When the community comes together to raise money for programs and supplies through the Bear Fund, it allows Lafayette’s administration to focus its resources on ensuring we have a talented pool of teachers, aides, and specialists.
- During the pandemic, the Bear Fund also helps Lafayette respond to the ever changing needs required to keep our kids and community safe. Last year, laptops were purchased for teachers and students, and support was provided to those in need in our school community.
- The Bear Fund includes an important equity pledge – 10% of funds raised through Bear Fund giving are donated to the DC Public Education Fund, providing direct financial support for DCPS students furthest from opportunity.
How Does it Work?
- In the fall, the HSA invites members of the Lafayette community to join in support of the Bear Fund.
- You can choose to make a one-time gift or spread your gift over 10 months
- If you’re interested in mailing a check or providing a matching gift through your employer, you can find more information here.
- All gifts are tax-deductible, and you will receive a tax receipt with your confirmation email.
How Much Should I Give?
- Each year, the HSA spends roughly $400 per student. However, we do not mandate giving levels.
- We ask that you give at whatever level makes sense for you and your family.
- Our goal is to have as close to 100% participation as possible. If everyone gives what they can, all of our kids benefit.