Dear Lafayette Families –
I know there is a daunting amount of information circulating right now, and major changes to our schedule for the next two weeks. However, I’m going to give it my best shot at summarizing what we know as of today:
- There is no school for students, Monday, 3/16 – Tuesday, 3/31.
- Monday, 3/16, is a PD day.
- Spring Break is now Tuesday, 3/17 – Monday, 3/23. There is no spring break in April.
- We will have school via “distance learning” Tuesday, 3/24 – Tuesday, 3/31.
- Click here for the letter from DCPS regarding the school closure.
- Students were sent home this afternoon with the following supplies:
- Students with IEPs were sent home additional intervention materials with directions for the grown ups, any materials they may need for OT or Speech, and any assistive technology required. Your students’ case manager can provide you further information.
- Beginning Tuesday, 3/24 students will begin distance learning. Teachers will be planning more specifics on Monday, but here is what we know so far:
- There is a packet of work for every grade level. Copies of packets were sent home to students reporting they didn’t have computers. All packets will be available online as well.
- Teachers will create a schedule of sorts to be availble for check-ins. More to come on what this will look like.
- For students with social emotional supports or behavioral supports our Social workers and counselors will be sending home tailored supports (visual schedules, behavior charts, reading materials, etc).
No doubt these are uncertain times. But please know that we are always a community and always here for one another – just at a distance for a little while. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly (, 202-604-8473) or the assistant principals; , .
I’ll be in touch soon with more information. In the meantime, take good care of one another and yourself.
PS – In case you haven’t thanked your teacher recently, they deserve huge amounts of kudos! They were absolute heroes today in preparing to send our students off, ready to learn and provide stability and love in the face of anxiety and uncertainty. I am forever grateful to lead such an incredible team who pull together to support our students and one another.