Dear Lafayette Families –
As a quiet settles over the building, I’m finally sitting down to exhale and send you all a closing note.
What a year we have had. Although I have tried to recall all the wild and crazy logistics, (quarantines, spitting in tubes, distancing, masking, etc), all I can see in my mind’s eye is the outpouring of love and joy I just watched at dismissal. If someone asked me if it was a good year, my response would be based on the hugs shared with teachers and students, the number of students sobbing because it was the end of the school year, and the outpouring of thanks for our teachers and staff. Not only was it a good year, it was a great, resilient, and joyful year. We reclaimed parts of what we have lost, we worked together as a community, and we had an incredibly successful school year – academically, socially, and emotionally. I could not be more proud of what we have accomplished. And although this year was hard (very hard actually), I am having some “big feelings” as it comes to a close. The great news is that we will see each other again very soon – as summer is really short!
On the topic of summer, here are a few key points to keep us all moving in the same direction:
- The Lafayette Summer Reading Guide is filled with resources to kick the summer off right! Find suggested (notrequired) books for every grade, learn strategies for picking your next read, visit other websites to find book suggestions (including a summer list created by other DCPS librarians!), and read about your many options for digital ebooks, audiobooks and magazines.
- Lafayette Summer Reading Guide
Yearbooks and 5th Grade Panorama Pictures
- Update on Yearbooks: We still have not received them. They will be sent home as soon as they come in. If they arrive after school dismisses, families will be able to stop by at any point to pickup.
- Also, 5th grade panorama photos arrived for those who ordered. 5th grade students will receive them tomorrow, unless they ordered after the deadline of 6/16 and chose to have it shipped to their homes.
- School supply boxes will be available this summer from School Tool Box. Lists and links will be published in the upcoming weeks.
- Class lists will be published on August 1st via email.
- Save the Date! Parent Huddles will be hosted Thursday, August 25th in the evening. Times will be shared later in the summer
First Day of School
- First day of school for K – 5th grade is Monday, 8/29
- First full day of school for PK4 is Tuesday, 9/6
- PreK Transition Week Schedule – 8/30 – 9/2
Thank you again for everything this year. For the love, patience, gratitude, and willingness to send your children to us every single day. We love them dearly and can’t wait to see how much they’ve grown, hear all the summer stories, and see how many teeth they’ve lost when they come back to us in August. Here’s to a great summer and the promise of yet another new school year.
Have a great summer,