IT’S BEAR FUND TIME – GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TODAY!
If you are feeling thankful for all that our wonderful teachers and administration are doing, please know that your financial support through Lafayette’s annual Bear Fund helps to make our school even stronger. With your help, the HSA will continue to support Lafayette in enhancing student learning, fostering a sense of community, and proactively responding when needs arise. But we can’t do it without you!
Have some questions about the Bear Fund before you make your gift? Read through the following FAQs and then make your gift today!
What is the Bear Fund?
- The Bear Fund is the Lafayette HSA’s largest annual fundraiser and supports an educational experience above and beyond what is provided by DCPS funding alone.
- The Bear Fund provides technology, classroom materials, extra-curriculars, community events, the Peace Program, Arts Program, and so much more.
- It’s an investment in our students, teachers, and all the unique programs and opportunities at Lafayette.
- This year’s Bear Fund goal is $160,000 – and we can reach that with your support!
Why Is It Important?
- When the community comes together to raise money for programs and supplies through the Bear Fund, it allows Lafayette’s administration to focus DCPS-provided resources on ensuring we have a talented pool of teachers, aides, and specialists.
- Throughout the year, the Bear Fund helps make many new learning experiences possible for our children, such as gardening in the Bear Garden, ukulele instruction in music class, and teamwork on Field Day.
- A healthy Bear Fund also allows Lafayette to be nimble and responsive when needs arise. For example, during the early days of the pandemic, Bear Fund helped Lafayette respond to the ever-changing needs required to keep our kids and community safe and learning.
- The Bear Fund also includes an important equity pledge – 10% of funds raised through Bear Fund giving are donated to the DC Public Education Fund, providing direct financial support for DCPS students furthest from opportunity.
How Does it Work?
- Every Fall, the HSA invites members of the Lafayette community to join in support of the Bear Fund.
- You can choose to make a one-time gift or spread your gift over 10 months online.
- If you’re interested in mailing a check or providing a matching gift through your employer, you can find more information here.
- All gifts are tax-deductible, and you will receive a tax receipt with your confirmation email.
How Much Should I Give?
- Bear Fund donations range from $25 to $5,000 to collectively cover the $410 gap per student.
- We encourage you to give a gift that is meaningful to you and your family.
- A high level of participation is just as important as the donation amount. We aim for 100% participation across all grade-levels. The grade with the highest participation wins an ice cream party – let’s make it happen!