Dear Lafayette Families,
This year marks my 7th year as the proud leader and member of the Lafayette community. As I was reflecting on the other six “welcome back” letters I have written, I realized that every year there is a major event or challenge we face as a community at the start of our year together: having a new principal (!), moving 750 people into trailers for a year, (don’t forget the cafeteria tent!), moving back into a brand new building, a solar eclipse (don’t look directly at the sun), and every volunteer having to get fingerprinted (TB tests were rampant!). And every year at this time, I think back about the previous year’s start and think, “man….we CRUSHED that.”
This year will be no different– as a community we will join together to tackle whatever comes our way. We will trust one another to do what is best for our kids, we will share ideas and feedback, we will share laughter and frustration and through it all, we will remain united as a team. Although there are countless ways that this year is starting differently than any other of my 21 years in education, what I know is that we are stronger together and we definitely know how to open a joyful, smooth, and beautiful school year.
Our enrollment continues to grow as does our staff and our facility. I have never been more excited to welcome in the new educators joining us this year. Please take time to learn names and faces on our staff directory page. Over the summer our lower level was retrofitted and we now have 4 newly finished classroom spaces to use whenever we return to the building. I also want to welcome all of the new families who have joined us this year. We are glad you are here! This year we are also at nearly 950 students. Our enrollment season is still ongoing, so a final count will be coming soon.
As we think about our schedules for the upcoming school year, there are a few important items to note:
- Back to School Night will be virtual on Thursday, August 27 @ 6 pm
- There will be consistent blocks of time in the schedule for all grade levels:
- Morning Meeting is every day from 8:30 am – 9:00 am for everyone
- Lunch/Recess is 12 pm – 1 pm every day
- Wednesday – there is only 1 hour of live instruction on Wednesdays. Morning meeting will occur 8:30 am – 9:00 am for everyone. Our teachers will then host “Wellness Wednesday” from 9:00 – 9:30. All other learning on Wednesday will be asynchronous (not teacher led).
- Specials are back on the schedule! Grade level details will be coming out soon
- Flex Time is back! For students in grades 1 – 5 this is an opportunity to join a club, socialize, participate in choir, have open art, do reading buddies and more! We will have flex time from 2:45 pm – 3:15 pm (M, T, Th, F).
- Later this week, I will send out grade level scheduling details to further help you plan accordingly. The most detailed schedule will not be available until teachers return the week of 8/24, however, I will be sharing approximate blocks of time.
- The first two weeks will be transition weeks for all grade levels. Our focus will be on building relationships, establishing routines, and getting to know kids. More info to come.
- PK4 Transition Week 1 – every year we start in very small groups for PK4 students and families. This year is no different! Find the PK4 transition week 1 schedule here.
Ok Lafayette, I’m going to sign off now and leave you with several other documents to review and dig through. Due to privacy concerns, I won’t post the class lists on the website, but will send them via email. If your child is not on the lists, or there is a misspelling, please just drop me an email at .
Room Parent Flyer – We need you now more than ever!
School Supply List – packaged just for you by the grade levels
A note from CLS about aftercare
We will also be sending out a schedule for the week of August 24th. Families will be able to pick up their items from last year and receive any new materials they may need for the upcoming year (laptop, workbooks, supplies, etc). More information coming with a schedule!
Here’s to the most unique of all school years and welcome back letters. But what is not unique, is that We Are Lafayette! Here’s to an incredible school year.