January 31, 2024
Dear Lafayette Elementary School Parents and Families,
At Lafayette, we are committed to ensuring a safe learning environment for all students. Communicating home about issues that impact our school community is critical to maintaining strong partnerships with families.
Today, around 7:15 a.m., we evacuated our building due to the smell of gas in the kitchen. Students and staff already at our building moved quickly and safely to our designated area, and arriving students, staff, and families were temporarily held outside. Please be assured that students remained safe and supervised during this time. We also contacted DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services (FEMS).FEMS arrived quickly and determined that the cause of the smell was due to a pilot light on one of our stoves having gone out.
They turned off the gas to the stove and cleared us to re-enter the building at 7:33 a.m. The remainder of the day, including student arrival, resumed as planned. I also want to assure families that there was no impact on breakfast or lunch preparation at our building.
Principal, Lafayette Elementary School