The Bear Fund is Lafayette HSA’s main fundraising campaign – and it needs YOUR help!
Last year, in addition to maintaining the programs that make Lafayette so special, the Bear Fund helped replenish classroom libraries and made possible the plans to install sun shades on the Pre-K and Kindergarten playgrounds.
This year, Lafayette educators aspire to expand our arts and extra-curriculars programs to include more immersive and equitable offerings – Special Olympics, Gardening Club, Environmental Sciences Club, expanded opportunities for Band and other existing extracurriculars. We hope you will join us in supporting this initiative.
Learn more about how Bear Fund enhances learning for your student and the school as a whole by watching this video, and then make your contribution today! We need 100% participation and we can’t get there without YOU!
Have some questions? Read through the following FAQs and then make your gift today!
WHAT IS THE BEAR FUND?
- The Bear Fund is the Lafayette HSA’s largest annual fundraiser and supports an educational experience above and beyond what is provided by DCPS funding alone.
- It provides technology, classroom materials, extra-curriculars, community events, the Peace Program, Arts Program, and so much more.
- Bear Fund is an investment in our students, teachers, and all the unique programs and opportunities at Lafayette.
- This year’s Bear Fund goal is $155,000 – and we can reach that with your support!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Every Fall, the HSA invites members of the Lafayette community to join in support of the Bear Fund.
- You can choose to make a one-time gift or spread your gift over 10 months online.
- If you’re interested in mailing a check or providing a matching gift through your employer, you can find more information here.
- All gifts are tax-deductible, and you will receive a tax receipt with your confirmation email.
HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE?
- Donations range from $25 to $5,000 to collectively cover the $410 gap per student.
- We encourage you to give a gift that is meaningful to you and your family.
- A high level of participation is our primary goal. We aim for 100% participation across all grade-levels.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
- When the community comes together to raise money for programs and supplies through the Bear Fund, it allows Lafayette’s administration to focus DCPS-provided resources on ensuring we have a talented pool of teachers, aides, and specialists.
- Throughout the year, the Bear Fund helps make many new learning experiences possible for our children, such as gardening in the Bear Garden, ukulele instruction in music class, and teamwork on Field Day.
- Through the Bear Fund, the HSA also has the potential to help educators realize their visions for more dynamic learning for their students, whether it be field trips, special supplies and materials, or expanded program offerings.
- A healthy Bear Fund also allows Lafayette to be nimble and responsive when needs arise. For example, during the early days of the pandemic, Bear Fund helped Lafayette respond to the ever-changing needs required to keep our kids and community safe and learning.
- The Bear Fund also includes an important equity pledge – 10% of funds raised through Bear Fund giving are donated to the DC Public Education Fund, providing direct financial support for DCPS students furthest from opportunity.